Thursday, February 14, 2008

How did the world work before the Internet?

So today I went into work only to find that the Internet wasn't working! WTF. This often happens, but the IT people normally have it up and running within 20 minutes. Not this time! I couldn't send or receive outside email. I couldn't read the headlines (my morning ritual). I couldn't upload information to our new Building Products Division website. I couldn't check to see that my pay-day direct-deposit was actually deposited into my bank account. I couldn't Google all of the things that I Google in one day. At one point, I actually had to stop and think about how I was going to find the phone number to a store I needed to call.

My thoughts ... "How am I supposed to keep in touch with my clients and send my daily email to Steph? How do I stay connected to the outside world? No Google! - maybe I should just go home."

I learned just how much I rely on the internet today. Sad, maybe. But definitely true.

Props to the IT team, who after much struggle and grief-bearing, had us up and running around 2:30 p.m.

No comments: